12 Aug Director, International Taxes and Treasury
Posted at 15:00h inOrganization profile:
Canadian based and privately held, our client maintains its commitment to innovation, partnering with customers in formulating solutions and socially responsible business practices. With coast to coast production capabilities across the globe, our client can seamlessly offer our customers cost-effective solutions throughout North and South America, Australia, China, Oman, Morocco and India. Our client's Industrial Division in Canada and Belgium refine and distill both Crude and Refined Naphthalene, and produce Chlorinated Benzenes for a wide range of applications.
General Description of the position:
In a context of rapid growth, the successful incumbent will be responsible to lead the Tax and Treasury department of the organization. This is an opportunity for a driven, dynamic and results-focused individual to structure a world-class Tax and Treasury department for an organization that is rapidly expanding. We are looking for a strong leader that always has Continuous Improvement on his mind. The successful incumbent will be working about 70% of his/her time on taxation and 30% of his/her time on treasury.
Responsibilities and Mission:
- Lead and manage global quarterly and year-end income tax provision calculations, return-to-provision reconciliation, disclosures and financial statements audit procedures;
- Oversee the preparation, review and timely & accurate submission of all global tax returns including US federal and state corporate income tax returns as well as Canadian and international returns;
- Build and foster relationships with finance personnel to ensure all tax provisions and filings are calculated on complete and accurate information;
- Develop and implement global tax strategies to minimize the company’s cash taxes and effective tax rate;
- Partner with business sectors to advise on tax aspects of new business initiatives and contracts;
- Drive global transfer pricing strategy and ensure compliance with Canadian, U.S. and international requirements, including documentation and intercompany agreements;
- Direct involvement with tax planning for M&A and corporate acquisitions worldwide;
- Provide ongoing operational and audit support and technical interpretation for VAT, GST, Withholding Tax, Sales and Use questions and applications;
- Monitor legislative changes in U.S., Canada, and key international tax laws that may impact the company and provide proactive guidance on the consequences of such changes;
- Research complex tax issues and analyze appropriately to a defendable conclusion;
- Manage relationships with external tax advisors;
- Estimate cash taxes and installments and accurate forecasting of effective tax rates;
- Manage income tax audits, prepare and review responses to queries, and review assessments;
- Manage and maintain relationships across the banking community including bank operational counterparts as well as treasury infrastructure and technology providers; including bank account rationalization, bank account structure, fee minimization, intercompany funding and payments;
- Assess overall risk around cash management, payment processing, banking systems, funding processes, and foreign currency fluctuations; develop the overall strategy and plan to significantly reduce and/or mitigate risk in 2020 including FX risk management strategy, hedging and hedge accounting;
- Collaborate with FP&A to develop effective cash forecasting models and reporting for cash management that is in alignment with overall Treasury strategy and policies to provide the necessary funding to various entities and payment processors, sweeping and investing of available cash, and ensuring that business is fully informed of key Treasury metrics;
- Prepare weekly and monthly global cash reporting as well as quarterly investment package and key treasury metrics;
- Develop and maintain strong and collaborative working relationships with key business leaders to ensure ongoing and constant communication in understanding business updates and to provide compliant solutions for new initiatives;
- Implement global treasury system solutions to improve global treasury processes and transactions that will allow the Company to grow and scale efficiently and effectively;
- Develop policies and controls to provide effective stewardship of the Company's cash, including cash with payment processors; and
- Monitor and manage requirements under Company’s Credit Agreement.
- 10 + years of tax experience with working knowledge of U.S., Canadian and International tax law;
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree required;
- CPA Designation;
- Ability to identify and define problems, gather and review data, assess the alternatives, interpret the results, manage the risk, and communicate findings;
- Experience collaborating with external advisers on complex tax matters;
- Ability to partner with senior business leaders and explain technical concepts to colleagues without a technical tax background;
- Technical background and experience to conduct tax-related research and provide advice across existing and future growth geographies;
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience;
- Ability to adapt in fast-paced and often pressured environment, managing multiple priorities and changing demands; and
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of internal and external customers, and ability to collaborate and interface with cross-functional teams and international sites to establish strong working relationships and cooperation.
- Advanced credentials preferred (e.g. Masters in Taxation, MB, or others); and
- M&A due diligence and integration experience.